Serves 6 plus.
- 1 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
Total Time: About 30 mins
Makes: About 3 cups
Place rice and measured water in a medium saucepan with a tight fitting lid and bring to a boil over high heat. Add salt (if using), stir to incorporate, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer undisturbed until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered to steam, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve. Check Seasoning
Raw Kale Salad
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1 cup small diced green apple, (about 1 apple) squeeze some lemon juice on it after you dice it
- 1 pound fresh Tuscan kale, washed, rinsed, and patted dry (any type of Kale would work)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey Or agave syrup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fried Pepitas (fry at 375 Pepitas)
Use a sharp knife to cut out the tough mid-rib of each kale leaf, and discard or compost. Slice the leaves crosswise into thin slices. The easiest way to do this is to work with a small bunch of leaves at a time, stack the leaves and roll them into a loose cigar shape. Then using a sharp knife, work from one end of the "cigar" to the other, slicing as thin as you can. Place the kale slices into a large bowl.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil, rice vinegar, honey or agave salt, and pepper. A hour before serving, toss the kale together with the dried cherries, green apple and the dressing, allowing the kale to marinate a bit. Right before serving, Top with the fried pumpkin seeds
Roast Pork Shoulder
- 1(3-4 lb) pork shoulder roast
- 2 cups apple juice
- 2 tablespoons Fennel seed, Toasted and Ground
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seed, Toasted and ground
- 1 tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon salt
- fresh ground pepper (to taste)
Using hands press the brown sugar and spices well into the meat on all sides making certain to ad hear the spice mixture to the meat. Place the roast in a casserole dish with a lid. Add the apple juice.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add the roast for 15 min. and then immediately reduce the temperature down to 250 degrees F.
Roast for about 4 hours or until the meat is falling-apart tender (cooking time will vary depending on the size of the roast and your oven)
Slice meat as desired. CHECK SEASONING.
Now put the dish together.
Put around half a cup of rice,(depends how hungry you are) in a bowl top with a portion of the pork, finally adding the kale salad on top. Top with more fried pumpkin seeds and even a fried egg.
Enjoy after a long run, Great for cold weather.