- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon finely red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons small diced fennel
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon sliced chives
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Fresh dungeness crabmeat, picked clean of shell, I used 1 cooked crab for this.
- 2 cups fresh breadcrumbs or panko
- sea salt to taste
- Butter or oil for searing the cakes
In a small bowl, combine the mayo, vinegar, mustard, bell pepper, fennel, shallot, parsley, chives, chili oil, thyme, salt and pepper.
Transfer mayonnaise mixture to a large bowl ,then carefully fold in crabmeat. Add about 1
tablespoon of panko to help the mixture come together.
Gently form into 6-8 crab cakes, about 2 inches across and ¾-inch thick.
Put the fresh bread crumbs in a shallow container and stir in parsley.
Lightly dredge the crab cakes on both sides in the bread crumbs.
Chill for at least 1 hour (preferably longer).
Put a nonstick skillets over medium heat and add about 2 tablespoons butter to each pan. When butter is melted, add 4 cakes to each pan.
Gently fry until golden brown on both sides and hot through, turning once with a spatula, about 4 minutes on each side.