With a few of these easy recipes you can make a simple sandwich into something refreshing and tasty. I used Salmon since it is going strong right now, but you could sub. Halibut, Chicken, or even Avocado.
Pine nut mayonnaise-
- 1/2 cup raw pine nuts, soaked in hot water for 2 hours
- 1/2 cup of the soaking liquid
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
In a blender, combine the pine nuts, water, olive oil, and lemon juice and blend until smooth. around 3 min. The mixture will thicken as it sits. Use or store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Raw kale, carrot, golden raisin slaw
- 3 bunches of kale, stem off, washed, dried and sliced
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced thin
- 3 TBSP rice vinegar
- 2 TBSP dark sesame oil
- 1 TBSP canola or light olive oil
- splash of soy sauce
- 2 TBSP sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
Mix all together to form a broken vinaigrette. Check seasoning. Next fold in the Golden Raisins ( adding the golden raisins adds some nice sweetness)
Melon, Celery, Ginger, Apple
Since melons are still around in CA. This quick drink is very refreshing.
- 2 Cups chopped french melon (could sub melon for grapes or your favorite fruit)
- 1 Granny smith apple, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalk
- small knob of ginger ( peeled and chopped)
Chef tip. Peeling ginger with a spoon works so well!
- 1/2 cup fresh OJ
- juice of one lime
- 12 mint leaves
- 1 cup crushed ice
Put the first four ingredients through a juicer. (alternately blend in a high speed blender and strain) Next, add the juice into a small pitcher and pour in fresh OJ and the lime juice.
Crush the mint leaves with the ice and add to the pitcher. Stir and enjoy.